Child And Youth Programs
Naomi's Centre provides confidential, safe and secure services and resources.
The Child and Youth Program Coordinator works with children from 0-16 years of age. Services are free and it is generally for a 6 week period while the woman and children are residing at the Centre. The Child and Youth Coordinator is also available to meet with clients from outside the Centre, clients not residing in the Centre, and the length of service would be assessed for each client. The Child and Youth Coordinator provides presentations on the issues of Abuse, Naomi’s services, the effects of Domestic Violence on Child Witnesses, and Dating Violence to the schools in Dundas County as well to other agencies or groups who may request them.
Children growing up in violent homes are affected by the abuse they hear and see. The Child and Youth Program provides the following to clients:
- A non-violent, safe environment.
- Opportunities to appropriately and creatively express their feelings with support.
- The Child and Youth Program Coordinator helps children to identify, express, and deal with their feelings with violence, separation, and reconciliation.
- Informal counselling is provided for the children and mothers either one on one or in a group setting.
- Advocacy on behalf of the child for legal issues.
- Parenting skills and positive discipline techniques are offered.
- Help women to understand the effects/needs of the children who witness abuse.
- To help the mothers build a strong, healthy relationships with their children.
- Help children recognize their rights and responsibilities.
Through the Child and Youth Program we seek to break the intergenerational cycle of violence.